Sports figures have some of the weirdest superstitions and superstitious behaviors out there! Here is a list of the 10 strangest ones we could find:
1. Mike Bibby is obsessed with cutting his fingernails. So much so, that he can be observed manicuring himself even during game time-outs.
2. Steve Kline has supposedly never washed his team hat throughout an entire season, which left it noticeably dirty to the amusement of fans and fellow players alike.
3. Les Miles eats the turf of the field on which he’s about to play a game, claiming that it helps him stay “grounded.”
4. Brian Urlacher ate two chocolate chip cookies before every football game.
5. John Henderson asks one of his trainers, coaches or teammates to slap him across the face before every game – giving him an angry edge that supposedly helps his performance.
6. Wade Boggs made sure to eat an entire roast chicken before every game. At 162 games per season, that’s a generous amount of poultry.
7. Richie Ashburn kept his baseball bats with him in his bed, a super-obsessive way to make sure that nobody touched or stole them.
8. Michael Jordan made sure to wear a pair of North Carolina Tarheel shorts underneath his Chicago Bulls shorts during every game.
9. Jason Terry has an entire list of superstitious quirks: he insists on wearing five pairs of socks for a game, eats chicken before every game, and wears an opposing team’s shorts on the night before a game.
10. Serena Williams, one of the highest-ranked tennis players of all time, is known to wear a pair of socks for an entire tournament, tie her shoes in a ritualistic way, and bounce a tennis ball five times before serving – and then twice before a second serve.