There are endless gorgeous and interesting countries that are just waiting to be explored. Yet despite the vast number of excellent travel options, Spain has something very unique to offer, and should be at the top of everyone’s travel bucket list. From the food, to the culture, to the beautiful scenery, Spain is sure to satisfy. Still not convinced? Here are the top 5 reasons to visit Spain.
1. Food!: Spanish food is famous world-wide. Every region of Spain has its own culinary specialties. Paella is one of the most popular Spanish dishes. It is a Spanish rice dish filled with spices, vegetables, seafood and meat that originated on the East coast of Spain in Valencia. Croquettes and jamón are also very typical in Spain, and go down excellently with either sangria or Spanish wine. When visiting Spain, you absolutely must try tapas. Tapas are a variety of small dishes or snacks, both hot and cold. Order a few of them and share for a delicious meal. Tapas are most common in the Southern, and Northern cities of Spain. One things for sure, if you’re planning a trip to Spain, make sure you arrive hungry.
2. The Monuments: Spain’s monuments are truly grand, and are sure to leave you impressed. There is a beautiful monument for you to gawk at in practically every Spanish city. In Madrid you’ll find the Palacio Real, the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family. When in Barcelona, you simply cannot miss La Sagrada Familia, a large and stunning Roman Catholic Church that was designed by the infamous Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. In Granada you’ll find the intricate arches of Alhambra, the majestic palace and fortress complex. The Cathedral of Standiago de Compostela in Galician town is another must see. There is absolutely no shortage of historical monuments and tourist attractions in Spain. You’ll be lucky if you can even fit them all in to one trip.
3. The Variety: One of the most unique aspects of Spain, is how much it varies. Each province of Spain is drastically different from the next, and each one is stunning in its own way. You’ll find something new and exciting about Spanish culture and scenery whether you’re in Catalonia, Seville, Andalusia, Basque Country, Galicia or Barcelona. Plan your trip so you have time to explore several Spanish regions, and can compare their culture, food, and traditions. Visiting Spain will have you feel like you’re visiting multiple different countries rather than just one.
4. The Festivals: When most people think of Spain they think fun and fiesta, and it’s no surprise why. Spain is home to some crazy Spanish festivals that are a can’t-miss. Whether you prefer a religious procession during holy week, or a wild food-throwing event, you will be thoroughly entertained. La Tomatina is one of the craziest Spanish festivals, and it involves throwing tomatoes at thousands of other people in Valencia at the end of August. A fun, and messy tradition. Carnival is another exciting festival during which parades and performers fill the streets, and people dance through the streets in costumes and masks. Head to the towns of Cadiz or Sitges for the wildest Carnival fun. No matter what time of year you visit, there will most likely be a Spanish festival for you to take part in.
5. The Friendly People: There are many convincing reasons to visit Spain, but one specifically speaks out to those who are trying to practice the Spanish language, or even trying to pick it up. Spanish people are notoriously friendly, and are always happy to answer any questions or give directions. Some Spaniards will even take the time to walk you to your destination themselves, to ensure you don’t encounter any trouble. While in some countries, tourists can be made to feel unwanted, you will never experience this in Spain. You can easily sit at a local café and casually chat with anyone sitting next to you. Even if your Spanish is rusty, the local Spaniards will be happy to engage in conversation with you. For this reason, Spain is the perfect place to practice conversing in Spanish, whether you’re dusting yours off, or trying to pick it up in the first place.
Choose Spain for your next vacation, and you won’t regret it. Want to learn Spanish in preparation for your exotic getaway? Click here!